I just overheard a clip of this speech on CNN and went to look it up, because it just pissed me off. I don’t know if it’s Romney being completely dumb or him styling his speech for dumb people, but let’s just summarize how this is not possible:
- Saying you want to wipe out Israel is very different from actually doing it. And this is the case in common law too. Saying “I’m going to rob that bank” will make people suspicious of you but no one can charge you with anything until you actually do it.
- On that note, America has killed vastly more Iraqis than Iran has killed Israelis. Food for thought. This is again because Iran has not attacked Israel.
- If you’re going to go down that route, it’s the equivalent of using international UN branches for your very much personal agenda. No one else cares as much about Iran as the US does (except Israel) and so using the UN Court of Human Rights as your own personal court is totally not cool.
- Genocide is also a hugely tricky topic, and it’s one of the great problems with international law. Even with practically clear cut cases like Rwanda and Bosnia, it takes ages to get your verdict through, because the definition for genocide is still kind of vague. So you can’t just go up to the UNHCR and say “Oh, by the way, I’d like to bring that Iranian fellow in.”
- It’s kind of a gaffe that he said “genocide convention” which suggests that he doesn’t know the difference between the “Geneva Convention” and the UN Court of Human Rights in the Hague. Even if he’d meant Geneva Convention, that’s very much a set of rules for states at war, again, not states, or leaders of states, talking about war. It is mostly to do with fair treatment of prisoners.
- The UNCHR is for war crimes, mostly, and again there has been no war between Iran and Israel. I don’t usually take gaffes too seriously even if they’re funny, but this suggests that he either doesn’t know or doesn’t care which one it is even though they are completely different things.
All this is besides the fact that Bibi Netanyahu is clearly and unashamedly trying to manipulate the US election. There is literally no other head of state of any other country in the world who would have the balls to do this, but Israel gets away with it.
And frankly, it offends me not only that Bibi is doing it, but that Romney is now his official spokesperson. It is highly insulting to my, and by relation American voters’, intelligence.